In a nation where very nearly half the population share exactly the same final title, you are forgiven for becoming just a little overwhelmed about who’s whom and just what exactly is what.
Exactly what will you Discover?
You will definitely gain a knowledge of the wide range of key areas including:
- Religion and values
- Community & culture
- Personal etiquette and customs
- Company work and protocol tradition
Gain a professional Understanding
once you have check this out guide, make sure the popularity of your Southern Korea business enterprise by:
- Purchasing an in-depth Southern Korea nation Insight Report, authored by a nation professional and outlining detailed nation and tradition information.
- Involved in a two-hour webinar that is live customised to meet up your specific needs, with certainly one of our Southern Korea nation and tradition training experts or; contacting us in respect to your Southern Korea consultancy solutions.
Select a part to skip to or scroll on.
This guide will help you understand your South Korean counterparts, improve communication and get the relationship off to the right start whether visiting South Korea on business, for tourism or even hosting Korean colleagues or clients in your own country.
Nevertheless, keep in mind it is just a tremendously level that is basic to Korean tradition and also the individuals; it may perhaps perhaps not take into account the variety within South Korean culture and it is maybe maybe not meant at all to stereotype all Korean individuals you might satisfy!
INFORMATION AND STATISTICS
- Location: Eastern Asia, southern half the Korean Peninsula bordering the East water together with Yellow Sea
- Capital: Seoul
- Nationwide anthem:Aegukga
- Nationality: Korean
- Cultural Make-up: Homogenous (except for tiny portion regarding the populace who’re from elsewhere but live in the national country permanently). It really is perhaps one of the most countries that are racially pure the entire world.
- Population: 51 million (2019 Est.)
- Populace growth price: 0.53per cent (2019 Est.)
- Climate: temperate, with rain heavier in summer time than cold temperatures
- Time Zone: Korea Standard Time UTC (UTC+09:00)
- Currency: southвЂwon that is koreanвЂ™
- National: Republic
- Online penetration: 92.1% (2016)
- Company Society: Ranked 30th in the continuing business Community Complexity Indexв„ў
LANGUAGE IN SOUTHERN KOREA
Koreans share one language, with roughly seventy million individuals around the world talking Korean.
The language framework, sentence structure and vocabulary act like Japanese. Dialects are local; differing mainly in accent, but they are therefore similar that comprehension for speakers, or audience, is certainly not a problem. Key difference between dialect may also be caused by social status.
Korea has one of many greatest literacy prices on the planet because of the phonetic nature for the written language that has been developed when you look at the mid-fifteenth century to provide one language to Koreans.
Songgwangsa Temple in Suncheon, Southern Korea
SOUTHERN KOREAN CUSTOMS & COMMUNITY
Religion & Beliefs
- Southern Korea supports freedom that is religious
- Confucianism, Buddhism and Christianity will be the primary formal religions
- Numerous Koreans rely on the spirit that is ancestral observe Confucian rituals
- Confucianism is a governmental and social philosophy that pervades Korean tradition
Major Celebrations/Secular Festivities
- There are two main main nationwide vacations
- New YearвЂ™s https://www.hookupdate.net/nl/kasidie-recenzja Day (second moon that is full cold temperatures solstice)
- Chuseok (the eighth full moon)
- Festivities of these festivals are based around ancestors, family members, games, harvest festivals and meals.
- The household product can be a essential section of traditions and life in Southern Korea
- Arranged marriages are normal
- Wedding is undoubtedly a rite of passage
- Divorce was unusual but is actually more prevalent in the past few years
- Patriarchal lineage is ubiquitous and links ancestors through the husbandвЂ™s line
- Usually, the son that is eldest inherited, nonetheless, it has recently changed and it is now equal for legal reasons
- The oldest son bears additional obligation to his household which is expected he will take care of their moms and dads inside their senior years
- Considering that the Kabo Reforms of 1894 there is no old-fashioned gentry
- 60% of Koreans considered themselves become class that is middle
- Course place is generally connected to attainment that is educational
- Industrialisation and urbanisation play a role in course distinction
- Family, upbringing, wealth, training and career subscribe to standing that is social
- Symbols of status include; big houses, chauffeur driven vehicles, dress, account to specific groups, and greater degrees that are educational
- Urbanisation is 82.5% of total populace (2015)
- Language is hierarchical and something must address social superiors in a manner that is fitting
- Equality associated with the sexes is constitutional
- Everyday life is dominated by male guidance in just a mainly patriarchal culture
- Social organization is impacted by sex and age
- 47.7% of adult females worked away from true home(1998)
- Females occupied 2.3% of provincial and regional seats in (1999)
- Females take over Shamanism as priestesses but don’t have a lot of functions within Christian and Buddhist religions
- Women can be anticipated to be submissive in public places circumstances as well as casual gatherings
- Ladies are considered more separate than their male counterparts
- Day-to-day care of infants is mainly moms and dad based for at the least the initial couple of years with little to no, or no, separation through the mom
- Patriarchal obedience, cooperation, respect for elders, and familial piety are imbued into very very early youth
- Gender certain roles are motivated inside the grouped household and training system
- Sons generally have the most readily useful education and stay more based mostly on their loved ones, also into wedding
- Southern Korea changed from an underdeveloped nation, into the 11th biggest economy globally, within one generation
- Southern Korea is greatly influenced by exports because of its GDP; nearly 50 % of its company is exported through services or products
- 48% of most exports are electronic
- 31% of exports are transportation associated (cars, boats, etc)
- Korean cuisine is dependent on rice, vegetables and meat
- вЂKimchiвЂ™ may be the nationwide meal and is consumed with many dishes
- Kimchi is made of many different veggies that are then fermented and that can be saved for long intervals
- Banchan are negative dishes вЂ“ they are usually manufactured in good sized quantities and generally are offered together with the primary meal
- Meals is used in ceremonies, particularly at weddings, birthdays also to honour ancestors